Have you ever wondered what to do with the red lentils that somehow end up forgotten at the back of the cupboard? A wonderfully moist and flavourful cake, of course!
This is a very easy and quick recipe, slightly modified from a version published in Elle à Table, March-April 2014.
Allergy warning: this recipe contains eggs, dairy products, gluten and nuts.
Ingredients (for 8-10 people)
350g red lentils
150g gruyère cheese, grated
50g hazelnuts, chopped
2 good-sized carrots, cubed
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
How to make it
- Pre-heat the oven at 170 degrees.
- Boil the lentils in plenty of water for about 10-15 minutes, adding a tablespoon of salt when the water starts boiling. Drain and keep on the side.
- In a pan, lightly fry the onion in a little olive oil. When it becomes golden, add the carrots. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whip the eggs with the grated cheese and the breadcrumbs.
- Add the lentils, the carrots and onion mixture, the olive oil and the curry powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter and dust a rectangular cake tin with flour. Fill with the cake mixture.
- Sprinkle the cake with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.