A fail-safe recipe that will bring the flavors and colors of the Mediterranean to your table in a little longer than one hour! Vegetarian and dairy-free.
200 gr (7 oz) flour 200 gr (7 oz) sun-dried tomatoes (drained weight) 100 gr (3.5 oz) extra-firm tofu 50 gr (1.8 oz) pitted olives (drained weight) 3 eggs
10 cl (3.5 oz, a glass) soy milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
3-4 basil leaves 1 sachet (7 gr, 1/4 oz) yeast for hand baking salt and pepper
Notes: You can use smoked or flavored tofu (I used sun-dried tomatoes-flavored tofu) but do not use silken tofu – it would be impossible to grate! If you are not vegan or milk-intolerant you can use gruyere cheese instead of tofu and substitute soy milk with cow milk.
You will also need: A small rectangular baking tin, about 23 x 13 cm (9 x 5 inches)
How to make it
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees (°C).
Mix in a large bowl flour and yeast. A A A A
A A A
2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs with the oil and the soy milk.
Season with salt and pepper. A A A A A A A A
3. Pour the egg mixture over the flour.
Mix. A A A A A A A A
4. Grate the tofu and add to the mixture.
Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, the olives and the basil leaves and add to the mixture. A A A A A A A
5. Grease a rectangular baking tray and pour the mixture in.
Put in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes.
Leave to cool down before removing from the tin. A A A A A A A
6. Decorate the cake with fresh basil and tomatoes. ENJOY!